Monday 23 September 2013

Dentistry Disasters

Throughout the last few years I have gained a laughable reputation for getting seriously ill at the most inopportune times. Studying abroad is clearly no exception.

Things have been quiet on the blogging front (and the attending class front) over the last week for just that reason. What started as an ear infection escalated to an emergency dentist appointment and having four infected wisdom teeth extracted. Ouch!

Its fair to say that I missed my mum, and the NHS, during this time. Nobody likes to be ill away from home, and the stress of figuring out insurance and the American health care system was an undue burden.

However, I'm on the road to recovery and feel a few words of thanks are due. Many people received panicked phonecalls and emails last week and everyone I spoke to was incredibly supportive.

The staff at UH and their insurance provider went a long way to make sure I felt reassured. The Disabled Student Services here at CSULB were also very helpful about the correct procedures and support available.

The biggest thank you of all goes to my A-Team family in the dorms; for lifts to the dentist, suggesting soft food for after the op, going shopping for me and just generally making sure I was okay. They made me feel as close to home as possible when you're over 5000 miles away.

No comments:

Post a Comment