Sunday 11 May 2014

Final Farewell to The Two Tone Boners

So I've been dragging this one out for a while now, but here goes.

Since coming to California I have been open to new opportunities and experiences, and one of the most unexpected is my new found love for ska. Back in September at my first CSULB Underground Music Society show I first discovered The Two Tone Boners. 

"For the final act of the night The Two Tone Boners filled The Nugget with their smooth grooves and rhythmic ska sounds, enticing everything from toe-tapping to full on skanking. Keys, trombone, sax, guitar, drums, and an exciting trio of vocals created an intense and powerful penetration that leaves a funky echo ringing for hours." 

This short review found me an invitation to their next show at The Airliner in Los Angeles. I met with the band and travelled with them to the show. From all our escapades of the night, ending in drunken interviews in the Boner Cave, this was certainly a memorable one, and marked the start of a big part of my time in California. 

"The collaboration of different genres and influences shines throughout their set, The Two Tone Boners is an eclectic mix, filled with energy and enthusiasm. While the ska feel strikes through, there are also elements of punk and other influences contrasting with more chilled vibes."

Since then, I have joined The Two Tone Boners and their fans at countless shows and had many an enjoyable night with them. They introduced me to a world of music through those they've shared the stage with, including one of my new favourite bands Papafish. 

The Two Tone Boners performance is packed full of tastes of punk, ska, jazz and more. There's something for everyone and it definitely gets you craving a dance and joining the pit for some skanking. Each show offers something different as they draw on the various aspects of the band. 

They're no strangers to a challenge and the hardships of musicianship, yet somehow they always pull through and seem to come out stronger on the other side. This is an extremely close-knit group, who all share an incredible passion for their music. 

Recently, they've been working on a new EP which will be released soon. I've heard a few sneak previews and it's already full of promise. I can't wait to hear the final product and hope that it takes the band even further. 

My last two shows with the band found me sitting on the stage with them at The Slidebar and another night at the Old Towne Pub in Pasadena. I was so happy I was able to see you all again and say my (temporary) goodbyes. On so many occasions you've made me feel incredibly welcome and I'm glad to have met you all.


So for some great music and fun shows check out this El Monte ska group! 


I'm really going to miss joining you guys at shows, but as I keep reassuring myself, I will be back...
This won't be the last you hear from The English Bonerette! 


No comments:

Post a Comment